Pondicherry, officially known as Puducherry, and commonly referred to as just Pondy, is one of the seven Union Territories of India which is bounded by the southern state of Tamil Nadu. This former French colony is a perfect amalgamation of the traditional Indian sensibilities and French architecture, making it a dreamy escape that offers the best of both worlds.
The streets of the French Quarter of Pondicherry, also known as White Town, are dotted with charming mustard-yellow colonial structures with bougainvillaea laden walls. These are interspersed with cosy cafes and chic boutiques that offer delectable French cuisine and beverages. Simply strolling down these streets, can give the traveller an insight into the fairytale charm of Pondicherry.
- Manakula Vinayagar Temple: Manakula Vinayagar Temple is one of the famous ancient temples dedicated to Lord Ganesha and is a popular pilgrimage site in Puducherry.
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram: Sri Aurobindo Ashram is a famous spiritual community (ashram) located in Pondicherry. Founded by Sri Aurobindo and Mirra Alfassa (The Mother) in 1926, it is one of the major highlights of Pondicherry and is visited by thousands of people from all over the world. The ashram is also the place of Samadhi of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother. The Aurobindo Ashram is one of the most visited tourism sites in Pondicherry. This ashram comprises several buildings and there are around 1,200 members along with 400 students living in this center. The serene Aurobindo Ashram comes alive during the festivals. Thousands of tourists, followers, and visitors come here. Despite the large crowd, the members maintain discipline within the complex, restoring its peaceful environment. The ideals of the ashrams are based on the teachings of Sri Aurobindo and Mira Alfassa. The ashram contains a library, printing press, playground, art gallery, dispensary/nursing home, dairy, farms, and guest houses.
- Pondicherry Museum: Pondicherry Museum is situated in Bharathi Park and is known for its unique collection of sculptures. It is one of the popular places in Pondicherry Sightseeing. This museum has an excellent gallery with sculptures and has the remains of archaeological findings from the Arikamedu Roman settlement. This gallery is known to have artifacts belonging to Cholas and Pallavas rule of Pondicherry and Karaikal. Burial urns, French furniture, terracotta figures, crockery, guns, swords, paintings, mirrors, and several other things dating back to different periods are preserved here. The painting section includes Tanjore and glass paintings, colonial prints and contemporary oils, pastels, and watercolors. It has bronze statues of several gods and goddesses along with handicrafts, artwork, and temple lamps. The ground floor of the museum has a palanquin and pousse-pousse exhibited.
- Bharathi Park: Bharathi Park, also known as the Government Park is situated in the central region of the old colonial town of Pondicherry. Government Park was once the location of the first French garrison and Fort Louis which were destroyed by the British. In 2006 the park was renovated and several new sections were included to make it more attractive. It is a beautiful and peaceful park ideal to spend time with family or for a morning/evening walk. The Aayi Mandapam or the Park Monument is a famous monument that lies at the center of the park. At one point, Aayi Mandap was the main water source for Pondicherry town. The Mandapam is an imposing structure that flaunts brilliant Greco-Roman architecture. The presence of flowerbeds, well-manicured lawns, and beautiful fountains around the monument make it an attractive place. There is a wonderful children's play area with several playground equipments. This park is surrounded by Government Hospital, Pondicherry Private Club, the Legislative Assembly, and Lt. Governor's Palace.
- French War Memorial: French War Memorial on Goubert Avenue is located in French Quarter (White Town). It was built in 1971 to commemorate the brave soldiers who laid down their lives during First World War. The memorial has four stark white columns with a life-size statue of a soldier leaning on a rifle. On the memorial, there is an inscription that says, 'Aux combatants des Indes Francoise's morts pour la Patrie, 1914-1918' which means French fighters of India who died for their country in 1914-1918. The memorial is a popular tourist attraction in Pondicherry. There is a small garden built around the monument. The Memorial is beautifully illuminated on Bastille Day which is celebrated on 14th July.
- Mahatma Gandhi Statue: The statue of Mahatma Gandhi is located on the beachfront of Pondicherry. Built by the famous sculptor Roy Choudhary from Madras School of Art and Crafts, it is one of the major landmarks in Pondicherry. It is surrounded by eight exquisitely carved monolithic granite pillars which were brought from Gingee Fort. The statue stands 4 m (13 feet) high is the 3rd biggest Mahatma Gandhi statue. It was inaugurated on January 26, 1965. The square in front of the statue referred to as Gandhi Tidal, plays host to various cultural and musical activities throughout the year.
- Promenade Beach: Promenade Beach is one of the popular beaches in Pondicherry along the Bay of Bengal. It is a 1.5 km long stretch between War Memorial and Dupleix Park. This is one of the top places to visit in Pondicherry. This beach is called by multiple names like rock beach due to rocks along the beach, Gandhi beach because of the statue of Mahatma Gandhi, and also as Promenade beach. Popularly this beach is also called Pondicherry beach because of its close proximity to the city. It's a long stretch of rocky beach with benches and wide pavement for morning and evening walks. It is adjacent to Goubert Avenue, the historical section of the city which has several beautiful colonial buildings. This long stretch has statues of Jeanne d'Arc Dupleix, Mahatma Gandhi, and War Memorial. There is also a 27-meter tall old Lighthouse near this place. The Hotel de Ville and Town Hall also adorn this place.
- Botanical Garden: Botanical Garden is located south of the New Bus Stand and is one of the top Pondicherry Tourist Places. The Botanical Garden along with Aquarium was established in 1826. The Botanical Gardens is spread over an area of 22 acres in the center of the city. The garden is a famous retreat for locals and tourists. It is spread with pruned trees, flower beds, and fountains. Perrott was responsible for transforming the place into a botanical garden. His memorial can be seen inside the garden premises. He introduced many exotic plants from all over the world. In 1960, after the Transfer of Power from the French, the garden became the hub of horticultural development in Pondicherry. There are 28 plots in the Botanical Garden and each one has a separate theme. Other attractions of the Botanical Garden include Children's toy train, musical fountain, aquarium, and Japanese rock. The aquarium is home to various types of fish and other marine life.
- Pick and drop to your Hotel / Home in Puducherry
- Vehicle Hire for sightseeing as per the Itinerary
- Driver Batta
- Parking charges
- Toll gate charges
- Entry fee for tourist attractions in Pondicherry
- Breakfast, Lunch, or any meal
- After the booking is complete, you will receive an email with the booking confirmation voucher that can also be viewed on the Explorebees app and website, in the 'my-bookings' section under your profile.
- Show the e-voucher or confirmation E-mail at the reception counter; Trees have feelings too, please don’t print this voucher!
- ‘No Refunds’ will be provided under any circumstances. No modifications and reschedules will be entertained. In case of a cancellation, 100% of the total amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
- In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain trips or activities may get canceled. In such cases, the operator will try their best to provide an alternate feasible. However, if you are not compatible with the dates you will get a full refund.
- The applicable refund amount would reflect in the same account that was used to make the payment at the time of the booking. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days. Refunds will not be processed in cash.