An elaborate system of man-made caves cut directly into solid basaltic mountains, the Elephanta Caves were used as sacred places of Hindu and Buddhist worship starting in the 5th to 7th century. Amble through the vast columns and arched colonnades, gazing at elaborately carved sacred shrines to deities.
The main cave, otherwise known as the Shiva Cave, contains numerous carvings depicting various aspects of Lord Shiva including his wedding, his slaying of Andhaka, and more. The most significant sculpture in the cave is the 20-foot-tall, three-headed Shiva, known as the Trimurti. Other wings of the caves have shrines dedicated to Shiva’s sons, Kartikeya and Ganesh, with similarly spectacular carved statues.
All the while, enjoy insightful commentary from a local guide, expert in the history of the Elephanta Caves, as well as Hinduism and Buddhism as a whole. After touring the magnificent island, you will be ferried back to the harbor. From there, your driver will drop you back at your hotel, marking the end of a memorable tour through over 1,500 years of history.
- Marvel at the intricate carvings of the Elephanta Caves
- Learn about Hindu gods and culture from an expert local guide
- Enjoy the personal attention of a private guide
- Tour guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entrance tickets
- Ferry tickets
- Meals and drinks
Know Before you go
- The caves are closed to visitors every Monday.
- In case of high tides and high rainfall, the ferry may not operate and the activity may be canceled. When possible, the tour operator will communicate this in advance or the activity may be rescheduled.
Things to Carry
Passport or ID card
Pick up points
Pickup available from airport, train station, or hotel located within Mumbai city limits. Please wait at the hotel lobby 10 minutes before the scheduled time. Kindly provide detailed address of the pickup location and a local contact number at the time of booking. Please check your email inbox and spam/junk folder for any communication from the local tour operator one day prior to the activity.
- After the booking is complete, you will receive an email and SMS consisting of booking details. The details can also be viewed in active bookings page of your account. Just login to your account in our website and access 'active bookings' page in the dashboard.
- Show the e-voucher or confirmation E-mail at the reception counter; Trees have feelings too, please don’t print this voucher!
- If your cancellation request is made at least 24 hours in advance of the booking date (date shown in the confirmation email), you will receive a full refund.
- If your cancellation request is made in less than 24 hours of the booking date (date shown in the confirmation email) may not receive a refund nor a transfer.
- In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain trips or activities may get canceled. In such cases, the operator will try their best to provide an alternate feasible. However, if you are not compatible with the dates you will get a full refund.
- The applicable refund amount would reflect in the same account that was used to make the payment at the time of the booking. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days. Refunds will not be processed in cash.