1 - 2 Hours
Children's play area
Dubare Elephant Camp is a project undertaken by the forest department and Jungle Lodges and Resorts Ltd. Dubare Elephant Camp is located at the edge of Dubare forest, on the bank of the river Kaveri, on the Kushalanagar - Siddapur road in Kodagu district about 28KM from Madikeri town. Dubare is one of the protected forests in Coorg and an Elephant training camp. A small enclave is open for visitors and a camp is a setup where naturalists train Elephants. Interested personnel can learn more about Elephants and can even spend little extra time with them by giving them bath etc. The entrance is set up on the banks of river Kaveri. You can choose from a variety of adventure activities such as boating, river rafting, Elephant ride, Horse ride, etc. You have to cross the river by boat to reach the Elephant camp.visitor can not only observe and learn but also participate in various activities involving Elephants. The Karnataka Forest Department has about 150 Elephants in various camps and Dubare has been historically an important camp. The Elephants for the famous Mysore Dasara were trained at Dubare elephant camp. as of now, There are 27 elephants in the camp with a couple of naughty baby elephants.
The Elephants used for the famous Mysore Dasara procession (also known as Jumboo Savari) held on the streets of Mysore city are trained at Dubare Elephant Camp. The tourists and lovers of wildlife spend hours in the Dubare Elephant Camp observing the habits of elephants and participating in the daily activities of these animals, such as feeding and bathing. The forest department lets you take a ride on elephant, feed and bathe it too. Or you can just watch the elephant getting groomed. A trained naturalist can be arranged to educate you on the history, biology, and ecology. Coracle riding, fishing, trekking are the other activities that can be done at Dubare. During the monsoon season, river rafting is arranged. Activities like a 45-minute bath in the River Cauvery where tourist can give bath to elephants, feeding them with ragi, jaggery, sugarcane, banana and coconuts and a 45-minute elephant ride into the jungle makes your visit at the Camp a memorable one. Rides are arranged between 09:00 am to 11:00 AM and between 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm.
- Bring an extra pair of clothes and you can enjoy going inside the water/river also
- Note, most of the elephant activities including bathing are done early in the morning. Reach before 9:30 AM to enjoy all the activities.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes. Dress for comfort. Do avoid bright colors and stick to muted shades of green, black, grey and brown.
- You'll be spending a lot of time outdoors. Don't forget your hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, a torch, etc.
- The elephants are not chained at all and you can touch them or rub them.
- Boat fare is Rs 50 per person to get across the other side of the river via motorboat
- There is a fee of 100rs per person for entry to the elephant bathing area. Once you are there you can stay as long as you like or bath as many elephants you like to.
- The mahouts do expect some tips - 10/20rs - per favor like elephant blessing or getting water sprayed from the elephant trunk, taking a photo with it, etc.
- River rafting facility is also available in Dubare. Rs.650 per person for 30mts rafting.
- There are some Luxury cottages which can be booked. price starts from INR 5,000 per person per night on a twin-sharing basis (For single occupancy 30% extra). Includes: Stay, Lunch, Dinner & Breakfast, Elephant interaction, Jeep Safari into the Dubare Forest, Bird Watching / Trekking. Forest entry charges and GST 18 %.
- Day Visit package available for INR 1500 per person Includes Breakfast, Elephant interaction, Trekking, Lunch.
- DO not carry mobile in your pocket, as many people slip while crossing the slippery rocks of the stream. always carry your mobile on Waterproof Underwater Pouch Bag Cover For Mobile Phone
- PETS ARE STRICTLY NOT ALLOWED
|January to December|
|Monday||09:00 AM to 11:00 AM - 04:30 PM - 05:30 PM|
|Tuesday||09:00 AM to 11:00 AM - 04:30 PM - 05:30 PM|
|Wednesday||09:00 AM to 11:00 AM - 09:00 AM to 11:00 AM|
|Thursday||09:00 AM to 11:00 AM - 04:30 PM - 05:30 PM|
|Friday||09:00 AM to 11:00 AM - 04:30 PM - 05:30 PM|
|Saturday||09:00 AM to 11:00 AM - 04:30 PM - 05:30 PM|
|Sunday||09:00 AM to 11:00 AM - 04:30 PM - 05:30 PM|
|Last Admission||Morning 10:30 AM - evening 05:00 PM|
Things to carry
Food or Snacks
Things Not Allowed