The Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Bangalore is of royal origin and was started initially as a private garden in an area of 40 acres by Hyder Ali, one of the most famous rulers of old Mysore in 1760. Initially designed in Mughal style, on the model of an extensive garden at Sira in Tumkur near Bangalore, this garden was further developed by Hyder Ali’s son Tipu Sultan and subsequently by the British and Indian doyens of horticulture by extension of area and addition of a number of plant species. Of them, Major Waugh, Dr. Wallich, William Munroe, Sir Mark Cubbon, Dr. Cleghorn, William New, A. Blck, John Cameron, Krumbeigal, Rao Bahadur H.C. Javaraya, K. Nanjappa and Dr. M.H. Marigowda, as the Superintendents of the garden, have made noteworthy contributions to the development of Lalbagh.
Lalbagh is currently under the aegis of the Directorate of Horticulture, Government of Karnataka. The Directorate is housed amidst the splendid environs of the botanical garden. Lalbagh was given the status of a Government Botanical Garden in 1856, and since then, it has been an internationally renowned center for scientific study of plants and botanical artwork and also conservation of plants. Formal and informal styles dominate the garden in perfect harmony, which is a testimony to the beauty of nature. Today, the garden is a lush green paradise with an area of 240 acres in the heart of the city.
Hyder Ali, the Emperor of Mysore, laid down the foundation of the Lalbagh Botanical Gardens in the 18th century. The gardens were later completed by his son, Tipu Sultan. He imported trees and plants from different countries of the world, like Persia, Afghanistan, and France, to add to the wealth of the Lalbagh Botanical Gardens of Bangalore. The gardens encircle one of the towers erected by Kempe Gowda, the founder of Bangalore. these gardens boast a rich collection of almost 1000 different species of flora. There is also a Glass House inside the gardens, modeled on London's Crystal Palace. Spread over an area of 2400-acre, the Lalbagh Botanical Gardens hold the distinction of having the largest collection of rare and exotic plants in India. The first lawn clock of the country was also set up in these gardens only.
The garden’s highlights include a Floral Clock, a statue of Chamarajendra Wodeyar, the Band Stand, Lalbagh Fountain, the Glass House, the Kempe Gowda Tower, the Bonsai Park, a tree fossil, the Topiary Garden and Lalbagh Lake. The others attractions of the Lalbagh Botanical Gardens include the Lal Bagh Rock, one of the oldest rock formations on earth. It is believed to be approximately 3000 million years old. The garden is beautifully designed, with lawns, flowerbeds, lotus pools and fountains adding to its splendor. Flower extravaganzas are held every year in the botanical gardens, as a part of the Independence Day and Republic Day celebrations.
flora and fauna
The botanical garden is enriched with numerous native and exotic flora of wide-ranging diversity, use and interest. This has been achieved by way of introduction; acclimatization and multiplication of plants obtained from various parts of the world since its inception in 1760. Today, nearly 673 genera and 1,854 species of plants are found in Lalbagh. The collection of the plants has made it a veritable treasure house of plants. Some of the exotic species introduced from different parts of the world include Agathis sp., Amherstia nobilis, Araucaria sp., Averrhoa bilimbi, Bambusa sp., Bixa orellana, Brownea grandiceps, Castanospermum australe, Cola acuminata, Corypha umbraculifera, Couroupita guianensis, Cupressus sp., Eriobotrya japonica, Magnolia sp., Swietenia mahagoni etc. Indigeneous species such as Artocarpus heterophyllus, Bombax ceiba, Butea monosperma, Cassia fistula , Dillenia indica, Ficus sp., Lagerstromia speciosa, Michelia champaca, Mesua ferrea etc., can be seen. In addition, a number of ornamental and economic plant species both of exotic and indigenous origin can be found in Lalbagh.
The Glass House
The Glass House, Lal Bagh Botanical Gardens, Bangalore, India.. Proposed by John Cameron, Superintendent of the Botanical Gardens since 1874. Designed and constructed 1889 by William MacFarlane & Co., Glasgow, and restored in 2004. Built to commemorate the visit to Bangalore of Prince Albert Victor, grandson of Queen Victoria, who laid the foundation stone. It was inspired by the Crystal Palace, although the layout has since been altered. Nicknamed "The Jewel of the Garden City," the Glass House is used for flower shows and is a popular tourist attraction.
Bonsai Garden at Lalbagh
At the garden is an interesting collection of 70+ bonsai Trees their ages varying from 15 to 70 years.
The entry to the gardens is free between 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM to 07:00 PM, for the benefit of the joggers and fitness freaks. There is also no charge for children and disabled throughout the day. guided tour ride that takes an hour for 100 INR per person The magnificent landscape of the Lalbagh Botanical Gardens truly mesmerized its visitors. Sit by the lakeside, savor the view from the hilltop, take long walks in the nursery and enjoy the beauty of nature!