River and water falls
2 - 3 Hours
The Shivanasamudra falls, literally meaning Shiva's Sea is situated at a distance of 85 km from Mysore and 139 km from Bangalore. Shivanasamudra Water fall-It is one of the most visited tourist places from Bangalore and surrounding during monsoon seasons. The island town of Shivanasamudra mighty Kaveri river divided into two streams and makes two waterfalls named Gaganachukki and Bharachukki. Gaganachukki Falls on the west side of Shivanasamudra Island and Bharachukki on the east side of the island
On the one side, it forms the Gaganachukki falls shaped like a large horsetail and on the other side are the Bharachukki Falls. The sight of these two falls is enchanting and the best time to visit them is during the monsoon. The falls are considered to be one among the 100 best waterfalls in the world. The World Waterfall Database ranked Shivanasamudra falls has world’s top 45 waterfalls among the world’s 100 waterfalls. The Gaganachukki waterfalls are best viewed from the Shivanasamudra watchtower. There is another approach to the Gaganachukki falls from the Darga Hazrath Mardane Gaib. Bharachukki falls are situated at distance of approximately one km from the Dargah junction. These falls are best during the monsoons, nevertheless, their beauty mesmerizes tourists throughout the year.
The Ranganatha temple in Shivanasamudra Island is a huge structure of the Hoysala period. The place is also called Madhya ranga. The deity is called Jagan Mohan Ranganatha, about 8 ft. in reclining posture. There are images of Goddess Cauvery, Takshaka serpent, Ramanujacharya, Alwars and a huge stone image of Sugriva in the temple.
Shivanasamudra is home to the first Hydro-electric Power station in Asia, which was set up in the year 1902. This station was commissioned by the Diwan of Mysore, Sir K. Seshadri Iyer. This is one of the oldest generating station in India, the electricity produced here was initially used in the Kolar Gold Fields. Thus, Kolar Gold Fields became the first town in Asia to get hydroelectricity. July to October the waterfalls look full and gorgeous it's Best time to visit Shivanasamudra Falls during this season.
- Boating facility is available in small coracle/boats they will charge you 400 INR for boat or 100 INR per person for 15 minutes. the boatmen take you to near streams and spin the boat for a few minutes.don't forget to bargain the boatman to get stealing deal.
- Don't visit on the weekend if you have time to enjoy on a weekday as this is a very crowded area.
- Carry a selfie stick and tripod to experiment with the photos. For selfie lovers, the selfie stick will be a must.
- Carry Food, water, and snacks there is no proper restaurant or food joints near Shivanasamudra Falls.
- Try to reach there as early as possible to enjoy the beauty.
|January to December|
|Monday||09:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Tuesday||09:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Wednesday||09:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Thursday||09:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Friday||09:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Saturday||09:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Sunday||09:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Last Admission||05:30 PM|
Things to carry
First aid kit
Things Not Allowed
70. 0 KM