45 Min - 1 Hour
FIrst Aid kit
A 37 metre-tall mythical creature to be precise a half-fish half-lion hybrid, Its name combines “mer” meaning the sea and “lion”. The “Singa” or lion head represents Singapore’s original name — Singapura — meaning “lion city”, and the fish is a tribute to Singapore’s history as “Temasek”, the ancient fishing village.
Legend has it that the Merlion would visit Sentosa Island every year to guard Singapore’s well-being. One dark night, the island was threatened by a violent storm and the Merlion fought the thundering skies with its magical powers and preserved the land. This mighty legend remained permanently on the Island through the years to protect Singapore by watching over the ever-changing skyline of the Central Business District area and harbor, as well as the country’s economic growth through numerous financial crises. If you think you’ve seen and heard it all, there’s more to the legend inside. Who knows, you could be in luck to uncover more than just curious tales upon making a grand entrance into the larger-than-life icon.
Among Singapore’s Merlion statues, the Sentosa Merlion is the largest and tallest at an imposing height of 37 meters. It is also the only one that allows you to enter it to discover its exciting origin and stories. Designed and sculpted by Australian artist James Martin, the Sentosa Merlion was completed in 1995. Strategically positioned in the heart of the island, it stands on a base that resembles the bagua, believed to usher in abounding prosperity and affluence. Each of the creature’s 320 scales is shaped like the bagua too. And if you pay close attention to the intriguing details inside, you will notice that the Sentosa Merlion’s teeth represent the various ethnic groups in Singapore – the Malays, Chinese, Indians, and Eurasians – signifying harmonious prosperity for all the citizens of Singapore.
- By Mount Faber Line Cable Car: Take the cable car and alight at Sentosa Station, Head down to Merlion Plaza via escalator.
- ByVia Sentosa Line Cable Car: Take the cable car and alight at Merlion Station, Walk to Sentosa Merlion.
- By Sentosa Express: Take the Sentosa Express from Sentosa Station at VivoCity Level 3, Lobby L. Alight at Imbiah Station.
- By Car: Park your car at Beach Station Car Park, Take the Sentosa Express from Beach Station and alight at Imbiah Station.
- By Taxi: Alight at Beach Station taxi stand, Take the Sentosa Express from Beach Station and alight at Imbiah Station.
|January to December|
|Monday||10:00 AM - 08:00 PM|
|Tuesday||10:00 AM - 08:00 PM|
|Wednesday||10:00 AM - 08:00 PM|
|Thursday||10:00 AM - 08:00 PM|
|Friday||10:00 AM - 08:00 PM|
|Saturday||10:00 AM - 08:00 PM|
|Sunday||10:00 AM - 08:00 PM|
|Last Admission||07:30 PM|
Things to carry
Things Not Allowed