30 - 45 Min
The Omkareshwara temple in Madikeri was built by Lingarajendra II in 1820 in the Mumammadan style of architecture with a dome in the center and four turrets at four corners. Temple dedicated to Shiva, was built in the 19th century in a mix of Gothic and Islamic styles. Legend has it that the King put to death a Brahmin to fulfill his political ambitions and in order to appease the spirit of the Brahmin, the temple was built. That Brahmin became a "Brahmarakshasa" and started teasing the king with troubles. It left the king only when the king brought a "Shivalinga" from Kashi and installed it after building a temple. The shivalinga was named as "Omkareshwara" and regular rituals were performed. The bars of the windows of the temple were made of "Panchaloha" and an alphabet "lim" has been placed in between the bars
There is a pool in front of the temple with tons of fresh water fishes in it. The temple has four minarets around it and a dome in the center. The temple is Similar to a Muslim dargah with a Linga installed near the entrance door. The King inscribed the history of the temple in a copper plate which is fixed at the entrance door frame. There is a water tank in front of the temple and in the middle of the tank there is a "mantapam" connected by a causeway. There are plenty of fish in the tank which is an attraction for children.
- Please note that this temple closes by 12 noon, so please visit before noon.
- best to visit the temple early in the morning i.e. before 9 A M. Only then can you enjoy the beauty and serenity of the place.
- Photography is not allowed here, inside the temple.
- You have to take off your shoes and socks before entering the temple.
- While on a visit to the temple which is a place of worship, you are advised to come decently dressed as a mark of respect.
- Shorts, skirts, 3-4ths, sleeveless not permitted inside the temple. You have to rent lungi before entering the temple If you are in shorts.
|January to December|
|Monday||06:30 AM to 12:00 PM - 05:00 PM to 08:00 PM|
|Tuesday||06:30 AM to 12:00 PM - 05:00 PM to 08:00 PM|
|Wednesday||06:30 AM to 12:00 PM - 06:30 AM to 12:00 PM|
|Thursday||06:30 AM to 12:00 PM - 05:00 PM to 08:00 PM|
|Friday||06:30 AM to 12:00 PM - 05:00 PM to 08:00 PM|
|Saturday||06:30 AM to 12:00 PM - 05:00 PM to 08:00 PM|
|Sunday||06:30 AM to 12:00 PM - 05:00 PM to 08:00 PM|
|Last Admission||Morning 11:50 AM - evening 07:50 PM|
Things to carry
Food or Snacks
Things Not Allowed