River and water falls
1 - 2 Hours
Abbey Falls is an astonishing waterfall where the Kaveri River cascades down a rockface from a height of 70 feet. Abby Falls or the Abbi Water Falls is situated just 7-8 kilometers from Madikeri town [Galibeedu road]. 'Abbi' in coorgie (local language ) means a waterfall. A waterfall you don't want to miss. The British called it the Jessie waterfalls in memory of Jessie the daughter of Madikeri's first captain. It is located in private property and decently maintained. A hanging bridge has now been built across the gorge for the best view of the falls. The falls can be reached by a narrow road from Madikeri. Cars can reach the entrance of these falls from where a downhill walk of 500 meters on slightly paved steps takes one to the waterfalls.
The waterfall is located between private coffee plantations with stocky coffee bushes and spice estates with trees entwined with pepper vines. The falls appear suddenly, the water cascading over rocks into calm pools. One has to make the way past stocky coffee bushes and tall trees entwined with pepper vines, the falls make a dramatic appearance as they cascade their way down steps into crystalline pools to join the river Kaveri River. These falls are most impressive during the monsoons. A path through coffee and cardamom plantation off the main road adds to the attraction of the falls. Enjoy the gushing, roaring beauty but a desire to take a dip in the cool waters may prove to be risky.
Reaching the place is a nice ride in itself as the road that drives you is very narrow with lots of turns and twists, ups and downs a two-wheeler ride would be JOLLY one. Nature welcomes you at every turn. The route to this Falls one Has to go through private Coffee estates. The Foggy Spray issuing forth from the stream flowing over a recipe makes a spectacular sight when viewed from a convenient spot. The water flow is very high during the monsoon season and during the dry seasons, the flow is considerable.
Ideal Season: June to December.
- Ask the locals for the directions instead of relying on Google Maps.
- You have to park your car outside in the parking area (parking charge approx 40/-) and then take the steps down to reach the waterfalls.
- Please note that this place is NOT wheelchair or baby stroller friendly. Also, it involves a moderate amount of physical effort so please bear this in mind.
- Be warned there are a lot of steps to walk had to climb down almost 100-150+ steps to reach this beautiful falls. and climbing up while coming back. it is a good walkabout little less than a kilometer.
- Maybe a little difficult for elders to climb down and up but it's worth the effort. Not that easy for senior citizens and kids, though not extremely difficult as well.
- wear comfortable walking shoes. Wear non-slippery footwear if going during monsoon or post monsoon.
- Visit this place much before 6:00 PM, as the gates are closed at 6:00 PM.
- The falls has no water in non-season. So do your research and have an expectation setting with yourself before going. Ideal Season: June to December.
- Apply mosquitoes repellent cream there are a lot of mosquitoes waiting to suck your blood.
- Carry an umbrella or raincoat during monsoon.
- Don't expect a picnic like a place where you can open your lunches and sit near the fall.
- Do note this place gets crowded during holidays and weekends, and you cannot bathe in waterfalls. and it is just meant for viewing.
- Mobile signals are weak there, many times you will get no signals so be prepared.
- Please note that any form of buses are not allowed to go to the estate from where you need to walk to the falls. Hence if you go by bus you may have to walk nearly 2 Kms or can rent Jeep / Car to reach the falls. Cars are allowed to go near Estate from where you start walking down to see the falls. walking in a narrow road is quite adventures and memorable experience.
- The road is curvy so be careful when u riding bikes. Roads are slippery in rainy season. But you will definitely like this place after visiting.
- Please don't throw the plastics at the plantations or near the falls, separate bins have been provided at the entrance.
|January to December|
|Monday||07:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Tuesday||07:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Wednesday||07:00 AM - 07:00 AM|
|Thursday||07:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Friday||07:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Saturday||07:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Sunday||07:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
|Last Admission||05:30 PM|
Things to carry
Food or Snacks
Things Not Allowed