1 Night | 1 Day
Skandagiri, also known as Kalavara Durga, is an ancient mountain fortress located approximately 70 km from Bangalore city, and 3 km from Chikballapur in the Indian state of Karnataka. It is off Bellary Road ( NH 7 Hyderabad-Bangalore Highway), and overlooks Nandi Hills and Muddenahalli. The peak is at an altitude of about 1350 meters.
Skandagiri is a perfect weekend getaway near Bangalore, preferred by most adventure and nature lovers. Located in the Nandi Hill ranges, at a distance of about 68 kms from Bangalore, the historic hill fort of Skandagiri is also famous by the name of Kalwarebetta. It is one of the most loved destinations for trekking near Bangalore that offers a perfect break from the busy and stressful city life and transports the participants into a calm and peaceful environment. The trek is an exciting climbing adventure for enthusiasts
Skandagiri hiking is a day long trip that is usually commenced after breakfast in the morning. The total hiking distance is 8 kms moderate to tough difficulty level, which makes it important for the participants to be physically and mentally fit.
Hiking to Skandagiri commences from the Papagni Temple, which is located at the foothills of the Kalwara village. The participants get to see a majestic view of the fortress located on the peak at a height of 1350m above sea level, through the entire hiking trail. The trail itself passes through a maze of dense shrubs which can be quite intriguing.
Upon reaching the top, hikers often feel mesmerized by the sight of old fortress, which despite being in a dilapidated condition reflects the majestic appeal it once held. There is also an old abandoned Shiva temple at the top where the hikers can relax and enjoy the view of their magnificient surroundings.
Pickup From bengaluru
- Take an overnight journey from Bangalore
- 3:00 AM Reach Skandagiri Base Camp
- 3:30 AM Start your hike to Skandagiri Peak
- 5:30 AM Reach to the Skandagiri Peak
- 6:30 AM Enjoy sunrise while spending some time on the peak
- 7:15 AM Descend towards the base camp
- 9:30 AM Head to the nearby restaurant. Freshen up & have breakfast.
- 11:00 AM Head back to Bangalore
- 1:00 PM Reach Bangalore
- All relevant licenses and permits
- Transport for the relevant period (Bangalore to Bangalore) - As per variant
- Trekking expertise and professional guide
- Personal expenses
- Anything not mentioned above
Know Before you go
Skandagiri is a perfect weekend trek. If you are bored with your city’s hustle-bustle life and want to spend some quality time with yourself and with your friends away from your city, there is no better place to go other than Skandagiri. You can go there any time of the year. You can do it in snow or no snow, the rain or no-rain. The place is open all year. The path from base camp to the top of Skandagiri is well defined, safe and structured. Anyone, instead it is a first-time trekker, nor experienced trekker is allowed here. If you plan your trip to Skandagiri, it is perfect, but do not forget to keep things following things into your mind-
- Carry minimum weight. It helps in walking faster in the mountains
- Do not litter here and there. Keep your surroundings neat, clean and green. Instead of throwing the waste around, keep it in your bag and take it back with you.
- Alcohol and smoking are not allowed. You need to keep your body hydrated throughout the journey, so consumption of alcohol and any other kind of drinks and drugs is highly inadvisable.
- The decision of the trek leader will be final and binding.
- Delays may occur due to weather conditions
- Any person with health conditions like Asthma, etc. are advised not to go for this expedition. However, if they so decide, it is at their own risk. Also, kindly consult your physician before you undertake this trek
- Do not wander off on your own. Follow the instructions of your team leaders
- Please take care of your baggage. Lock your backpack with a small lock, instead of accusing others of the stolen items.
- If you opt for a homestay, treat the hosts with respect and communicate with them comfortably!
- Wear full sleeves and pants for this particular expedition, as the insects and forest leeches can get extremely active this time around.
- Harm no animals and plants on the journey.
- Always carry a water bottle and handy snacks in your backpack.
- Always check the weather conditions before leaving for the trek.
- Eat healthily and do not skip meals during the trek.
- Always carry a personal medical kit with you as cuts & bruises are very common during the trek.
- Do not carry expensive gadgets and pieces of jewelry.
Things to Carry
- Masks + Hand Sanitizer
- Small Backpack
- Water bottles and energy bars
- Poncho/Raincoat - Monsoon Season
- Comfortable trekking pants and T-shirts
- Fleece jacket and Down jacket
- Warm hat and Sun cap
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Portable charger and Power bank
- Camera and extra batteries
- Lip balm and wipes
- Trekking shoes and trekking pole
- Headlight with extra batteries
- First aid box with all the necessary medicines
- Cash - Cash is always necessary to carry as you may not find any ATM machines nearby
- After the booking is complete, you will receive an email and SMS consisting of booking details. The details can also be viewed in active bookings page of your account. Just login to your account in our website and access 'active bookings' page in the dashboard.
- Show the e-voucher or confirmation E-mail at the reception counter; Trees have feelings too, please don’t print this voucher!
- ‘No Refunds’ will be provided under any circumstances. No modifications and reschedules will be entertained. In case of a cancellation, 100% of the total amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
- In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain trips or activities may get canceled. In such cases, the operator will try their best to provide an alternate feasible. However, if you are not compatible with the dates you will get a full refund.
- The applicable refund amount would reflect in the same account that was used to make the payment at the time of the booking. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days. Refunds will not be processed in cash.