River and water falls
4 - 5 Hours
THOOVANAM WATERFALLS is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Kerala is located inside chinnar wildlife sanctuary which is about 60 km from Munnar in the Idukki district of Kerala state in South India. The water flow that creates the cascade is River Pambar, from a height of 1400 feet and fascinates many nature lovers and trekkers. In order to reach this waterfall, one has to trek 3 Kms from Alampetty Junction, which is situated on Munnar - Udalampet highway and connected by buses from Munnar. While on the way one gets the chance to see animals and flora in this sanctuary. Thoovanam waterfalls is one of the major sources of drinking water for animals within the sanctuary. The tourists to the sanctuary can spend some time enjoying the beauty of this waterfall. one should visit this place during monsoon. The captivating surroundings of Thoovanam look even beautiful during monsoon. Many photographers visit this destination for unparalleled photo opportunities that would remind them of their trip to this wonderful place for the rest of their life.
Trek to Thoovanam falls
It is a popular trekking trail in Munnar. Perhaps a trek to Thoovanam falls in the jungle is the best way to get to the soul of Chinnar. This 4 km trekking trail starts from Alampetty Check post. It is a guided programme which usually takes 3 hours from the check post. This is a moderate level trek and you find in the Chinnar River which accompanies you on one side, your best comrade. The sight of Thoovanam waterfalls from a distance itself takes away all the fatigue of the long trek under a punishing sun.
Timing: 08.00 AM – 02.00 PM (in between 3 hours)
Cost of the package
- INR. 250/- Indians
- INR. 600/- for foreigners
- This waterfall in inside the deep forest and we need to trek for 3 km in order to reach this place.
- Visitors can avail a guided trek from Karimutti Forest Station to the falls.
- There is a forest check post where they will charge around INR 250 per person and two escorts will accompany to walk through the forest.
- It is preferable to pick an early morning time.
- Forest guides accompany you. Can book online on munnarwildlife.com. The guides and forest dept officials are very nice and helpful.
|January to December|
|Monday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Tuesday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Wednesday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Thursday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Friday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Saturday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Sunday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Last Admission||02:00 PM|
Things to carry
First aid kit
Food or Snacks
Things Not Allowed