Dam and Reservoir
1 - 2 Hours
Children's play area
Elephant Lake or Elephant Arrival Lake Is Also known as Anayiranga is located only about 22 km away from Munnar. Numerous elephants from the Munnar forest visit this lake to drink water, so, it is called the Elephant Lake. The name ‘Anayirangal’ is the amalgamation of two Malayalam words; ‘aana’ which means elephant and ‘irangal’ which means descend. As the name suggests, elephant herds come down to drink water from the Dam. There are lake and tea plantation adjacent to the Dam, which adds extra gorgeousness to this reservoir. Like a jade green carpet, the tea plantation plays a major part in attracting tourists. You can be revitalized while strolling through the plantation with the caressing touch of aroma-laden breeze flowing from the plantations. The lake joins hands with the plantation to present the visitors an exquisite beauty to the high range area. You can witness the elephants finding relief from the crystal clear water of the lake. The sight of the elephants playing will be a feast for your eyes irrespective of your age.
This astonishing lake is bestowed with ample of natural splendor and enclosure of lush forests, tea plantations and small hills add a lot to its beauty. Elephant Lake is nearby the Tata Tea Plantations. Presenting a picturesque scenery surrounded by tea plantations, evergreen forests, rolling grasslands and hillocks, Elephant Lake portrays panoramic views of the calm waters against the backdrop of dense tea estates and clouds. A common spot where you are bound to see herds of wild elephants arrive here from the dense forests of Munnar. Tourists interested in photography can capture the panoramic view of the calm waters of the reservoir with the backdrop of dense Tata tea estates and clouds. However, it is advisable that you maintain a safe distance from these wild elephants as it is very dangerous to disturb them.
Anayirankal Dam is a hydroelectric dam Lies very closer to the chinnakanal waterfalls, located at 27 Km away from Munnar in Idukki District of the southern state of Kerala. The splendid view of the undulating tea plantations that stretch across extensively on the slopes of the hills is a truly enchanting sight. among the most scenic spot so it is an ideal picnic spot for the travelers from around the world. Anayirankal Dam has snared an exclusive niche on the tourist map due to this singular attraction, coupled of course with the bewitching Anayirankal Lake. The Anayirankal Dam is surrounded by the Tata Tea Plantations and evergreen forests Majority of these plantations are owned by Tata Tea group concern Kannan Devan. This tea plantation looks like a green carpet which adds more attraction to this place. If you are lucky enough you will be able to sight a large number of elephants that come to this place often to drink water from this lake. It is the ideal place for the cultivation of tea plantation. You can go boating and rafting in this reservoir created by Anayirangal Dam.
- excellent place for boating. high-speed boat ride for 15 minutes at the cost of 1100 for 5 person s including children. Boating charges are 300 rupees for two-seater boats, Pontoon boat 20 seats INR 600, for 30 mins ride.
- The boat rides were 2 km away from the dam.
- If one is lucky one can see wild buffaloes and elephants around this place while taking a ride on a speed boat.
- The area is a herding spot for wild elephants so you can take excellent wildlife photographs.
- The boating timing is 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Wear life jackets at the time of boating. Avoid visiting the place during torrential monsoon.
- Many tribal people reside near the dam site. You can witness and experience the tradition and lifestyle of local tribal here.
- The best time to visit the dam is after the monsoon rain. The right time to visit the place would be from September to the end of January. The dam will be brimful, the surrounding forests and grasslands would be thick, green, and fresh. The monsoon adds extra beauty to the scintillating water before it leaves.
|January to December|
|Monday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Tuesday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Wednesday||08:00 AM - 08:00 AM|
|Thursday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Friday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Saturday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Sunday||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Last Admission||04:30 PM|
Things to carry
Food or Snacks
Things Not Allowed