5 days 4 nights
First Aid Kit
A trek of dreams, Hampta Pass treats you to an amazing display of diverse landscapes in a 5-day mountain rhapsody. The stark contrasting sweeps of topography varying from lush green mammoths to crisp contrasting expanses of deserted wilderness hold you in awe. The sheer drama of this cross-over trek is simply intriguing. At 14,000 feet Hampta Pass in Himachal Pradesh falls under those rare, dramatic pass crossings in the Himalayas. On one side is the lush green valley of Kullu — with forests, grasslands, and flowers blooming on the side of your trail. On the other is the almost arid, stark landscape of Lahaul, with barren mountains and almost no vegetation.
Although it has a comparatively moderate level of difficulty, Hampta Pass trek is a fantastic opportunity for amateurs and veterans alike. It is bound to captivate the trekkers with its alluring landscapes and spectacular vistas. Dense pinewood forests, endless green meadows, rustling mountain streams, vibrant wildflowers, daunting mountains, beautiful valleys, serene lakes, and pools – the entire trail of Hampta Pass trek is dotted with everything you can dream of to witness on a trek.
Landscapes change vividly every few hours of walking on the Hampta Pass trekking trail. The lack of any treacherousness in the trail is compensated by the abundance of natural beauty, which will take you by surprise at every twist and turn of the trek that spans over 5 days. It begins with a drive from Manali to the basecamp of the trek, Jobra. From there, the incredible journey on foot begins.
True to its promise, the trek will first take you on a voyage through some of the most beautiful sweeps of nature’s endless bounty that Himachal has to offer. The zestful forests of pines, maples, and birches on the way from Jobra to Chika, the vast green meadows catering to mountain cattle and bright, colourful rhododendrons and other wildflowers en route to Balu ka Ghera, the rocky cliffs and shallow lakes that pave the road to Hampta Pass, and finally the haunting panorama of Pirpanjal from the gateway to the pass – the whole trail is nothing short of a soulful odyssey.
At the topmost point, it seems like the Himalayas have opened up their deepest secrets for the trekkers to peek into. The breathtaking views of the mountains, gliding down into the abyss of melancholic valleys and rising into the sky with snowy white peaks, reflecting the sun unabashedly, is quite a well-deserved and hard-earned reward for making the easy but exhausting trek. But the journey is yet not over. The dynamic experience continues during the descent to Shea Goru. Here you will find the most difficult part of the trek – a steep downhill walk along narrow, rocky pathways.
The last treat for the eyes and the spirit on this trek is Lake Chandratal, nestled between lofty peaks of the Pirpanjal at a height of 4,250 meters. But before that, a chilling encounter with a mountain stream awaits you – quite literally. Before you make your way to Chhatru, your last campsite for the trek, a small stream by the campsite of Shea Goru needs to be crossed early in the morning, when the water is low and currents are weak. A simpler walk through pastures and rocky paths takes you to Chhatru, where vehicular access is restored.
The drive to Lake Chandratal is as stunning as the lake itself. How the crescent-shaped mass of sparkling water will look to you depends on the time of the day you visit it. During the daytime, it reflects the turquoise blue of the sky, while dusk paints it with a shade of deep emerald. Upon nightfall, it turns glistening black. Here too, you can get the opportunity to see local shepherds graze their herds, in the lush greens dotted with wildflowers that surround Lake Chandratal.
On this trek, you move from one side to the other over a period of 5 days, covering 25 km.
Trek from Siagoru to Chatru and drive to Chandra Tal
Trek Distance: 3 Kms | Duration: 4 Hours | Elevation: 11,000 ft
- Wake up to the lovely view of the Himalayas, after breakfast, begin an easy descent through the Hampta Valley.
- Find the group of Pir Panjal ranges of the inner Himalayan circle that appear ahead of you.
- This dominating landscape trails along with you all through Spiti till you arrive at the base camp at Chatru.
- Post your brief interaction head to Chatru, a confluence of three paths – Hampta Pass, Spiti, and Rohtang Pass, this green paradise in the barren cold desert is like a breath of fresh air.
- You’ll drive to Chandratal, a moon-shaped alpine lake located at an altitude of 4250m is one of the most enchanting lakes in this region, it is here that you’ll fall head over heels in love with the Himalayas.
- Find yourself become one with nature as the lake’s placid waters throw open a vista of reflections of the enveloping Himalayan peaks.
- Have your dinner and spend overnight at Chatru.
Balu ka Gera to Siagoru and crossing Hampta Pass
Trek Distance: 7 Kms | Duration: 8 Hours | Elevation: 14,100 ft
- Wake up in the lap of mountains this day is where you get to experience the barren landscape of the Himalayas in the Lahul and Spiti Valley.
- Such a variety in one region is what makes the Hampta Pass Trekking most attractive especially among amateurs.
- Start your day with a steep ascend till the Pass, One can enjoy a beautiful panoramic view from the top and then, descending towards the next campsite.
- Discover the serene calmness that surrounds the valley, you might meet shepherds at this high altitude pass who visit the valley to nourish their sheep with the special grass that grows around the area.
- After a brief stopover at Hampta village, which gives the pass its name, you’ll begin the descent to the base camp at Siagoru.
- After coming back to Siagoru rest up overnight at Siagoru
Arrive at Manali
- Arrive at Manali, Meet our representatives here.
- After a wholesome breakfast at Manali, you will drive to Jobra from where the Hampta pass trekking originates.
- At this transfer point, receive a briefing from your trip leader and gear for an easy ascent to Chika.
- It's an easy trek to the Chika campsite on the banks of Rani Nallah, a trek that walks you into a mixed forest of pine, green maple and birch trees.
- With the mesmerizing topography of the Himachal coming into play, you barely realize the climb.
- While trekking, walk along with River Rani who introduces the surroundings of big rocky hills in absolute splendour.
- Enjoy an overnight stay and dinner at the tents in Chika.
Chika to Balu ka Ghera | Stay at the Stunning Campsites
Trek Distance: 6 Kms | Duration: 5 Hours | Elevation: 11,900 ft
- Enjoy the scrumptious breakfast and leave from Chika campsite to Balu ka Ghera.
- Feel the reality of being in the Himalayan region as you catch the first glimpse of the outer Himalayan chain of mountains as the Dhauladhar ranges begin to appear.
- Commonly referred to as The White Range, you’ll notice the mighty towers occupy the entire frame with meadows and flower-filled valleys dotted for company.
- Arrive at Balu ka Ghera and settle down at this base for the day, have lunch, and spend the rest of the time.
- Admire the surreal beauty, losing yourself in an ambiance that will take your breath away.
- Have your dinner and rest up in the camps at Balu ka Ghera.
Drive from Chandra Tal to Manali via Rohtang Pass
- Wake to the sound of moon shaped lake, it is the day when your Hampta pass trekking adventure comes to an end.
- After breakfast, traverse the high altitude pass that connects the humid Kullu Valley and the arid Lahaul and Spiti Valley.
- Arrive at Manali and disperse for your journey with a bag full of memories.
- Certified Trek Leaders
- Accommodation – Stay is included from Day 1 to Day 5 (Jobra to Chhatru). You will be camping on all days of the trek (3 per tent).
- Transport – We will arrange for the transport in shared cabs from Manali to Jobra on Day 1.
- Meals – All meals from lunch at Prini on day 1 to breakfast at Chhatru on Day 6 are included. We provide simple, nutritious vegetarian food on all days of the trek.
- Camping charges – All trekking permits and forest camping charges are included.
- Trekking equipment – You will stay in high-quality tents and sleeping bags in all the camps. Our high-altitude sleeping bags can withstand temperatures as low as -10 ºC. We provide ice axes, roped, microspikes, gaiters, etc. as required.
- Safety equipment – First aid, medical kit, oxygen cylinders, stretchers, etc. will be available at all campsites to deal with emergencies.
- Services of an expert Trek Leader – All our trek leaders are qualified in basic/advanced mountaineering courses.
- Services of an expert Trek Team – The mountain staff on this trek consists of well-trained guides, cooks, helpers, and porters.
- Food during transit to and from the base camp – The trek fee does not include meals purchased during the drive to Jobra or return from Chhatru.
- Personal expenses of any kind
- Anything apart from inclusions
Know Before you go
- Region- Himachal Pradesh Himalayas
- Altitude- 14,010 feet
- Duration- 5 days
- Trekking Distance- 28 kilometers
- Difficulty Level- Easy to moderate
- Start Point- Manali
- End Point- Manali
- Base Camp- Jobra
- Nearest railway station- Pathankot
- Nearest airport- Bhuntar
- Last ATM- At Manali. It is recommended that you carry enough cash for the trek as they are no ATMs available beyond Manali.
- Best time to visit- mid-June to mid-October
Things to Carry
- Hiking shoes
- Head torch
- Rain cover
- Warm clothes
- Toilet paper & wipes
- Walking stick
- Backpack (50-60l)
- Day pack (20-30l)
- Water bottle
- Extra pair of socks
- Fleece jackets and thermals
- Waterproof windcheater
- After the booking is complete, you will receive an email and SMS consisting of booking details. The details can also be viewed in active bookings page of your account. Just login to your account in our website and access 'active bookings' page in the dashboard.
- Show the e-voucher or confirmation E-mail at the reception counter; Trees have feelings too, please don’t print this voucher!
How to Reach Manali:
- By Road: Manali is well connected to Delhi. Take an overnight bus from Delhi and you will reach Manali in 12 ‐ 14 hours (approx 540 km).
- By Train:The nearest Railway station is Joginder Nagar railway station 163 km from Manali.
- By Air:The nearest Airport is Kullu Manali Airport in Bhuntar is 50 Kms. Taxi services are available from Bhuntar to Manali, which costs about Rs.700‐ Rs.1,000.
- ‘No Refunds’ will be provided under any circumstances. No modifications and reschedules will be entertained. In case of a cancellation, 100% of the total amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
- In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain trips or activities may get canceled. In such cases, the operator will try their best to provide an alternate feasible. However, if you are not compatible with the dates you will get a full refund.
- The applicable refund amount would reflect in the same account that was used to make the payment at the time of the booking. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days. Refunds will not be processed in cash.