The Cubbon Park, officially known as Sri. Chamarajendra Park is a historic park, located in the heart of the Bangalore city in the Central Administrative Area. The park provides sylvan surroundings to the State Legislature building- the Vidhana Soudha, the High Court Buildings – the Attara Kacheri and a number of other organizations located along the periphery and within the park which constitute the Central Administrative Area.
Cubbon Park is renowned for historical testaments, cultural institutions, and government buildings. The symmetrically shaped park is spread over an area of 334 acres. Adorned with countless flowers, floral species, shaded groves, trees, the landscape of the park looks beautiful and graceful. The foundation of Cubbon Park was laid down by Richard Sankey in 1864, while it was named in the honor of Cubbon, Engineer Commissioner. The statue of Queen Victoria adorns the park. Right in the center of Cubbon Park is the Memorial of Seshadri Iyer housing the Public Library. The park is home to almost 6000 species of plants as well as trees.
The Cubbon Park has a history of over 100 years. It was established in the year 1870 by Sri John Meade, the then acting Commissioner of Mysore. The vast landscape of the park was conceived by Major General Richard Sankey, the then Chief Engineer of the State. At that time Meade’s Park was its name as a tribute to Sir John Meade and subsequently called the Cubbon Park. As a mark of honor to Sri John Meade, the park was initially named as "Meade’s Park" and subsequently it was called the Cubbon Park. Since the inception of the park, it was developed and improved by adding new structures and features. In the year 1927, the park was officially renamed as "Sri. Chamarajendra Park" to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Sri. Krishnaraja Wodeyar’s rule in Mysore State.
Structures / Facilities
Many official and public buildings are located within and along the periphery of the park. The High Court Buildings, Indira Priyadarshini Children’s Library, City Central Library, Government Museum, Art Gallery, Aquarium, YMCA, Yuvanika- the State Youth Centre, Century Club, Press Club, Jawahar Bal Bhavan, Tennis Pavillion and a number of other offices are located in the park, few of them offering amusement and sports facilities.
- The Queen Victoria statue installed (1906) in one corner of the park near the Mahatma Gandhi Circle.
- the King Edward VII statue installed (1919) at the North-Western point of the Queen’s park.
- the statue of Major General Sir Mark Cubbon near the terrace garden.
- Rajya Dhurandhara Sir K. Sheshadri Iyer statue installed (1913) in front of the Central Library.
- the statue of Sri. Chamarajendra Wodeyar (1927) installed in the central portion of the park near the tennis pavilion with a fair fountain in the front, are magnificent structures found in the park.
Owing to the different features and structures in the park, the Cubbon Park is a well-known tourist attraction.
Although no specific events are organized by the Department within the Cubbon Park area, regular shows are conducted at the Dancing Musical Fountain, LRDE. Two shows are organized every day from 7.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. and 8.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. each lasting for half an hour. It is closed on every Monday and Second Tuesday of the month.
Cubbon Park is a public park with many Government organizations, associations, and clubs in its locale. The park is open all the time. It has been declared a silent zone between 5.00 a.m. to 8.00 a.m.