Things to Know
30 - 45 Min
Consecrated in AD 1534, this temple is an example of Vijayanagara style temple architecture in its most advanced form than any other temples in Hampi. This was one of the last grandiose temple projects executed in the capital, before the fall of the empire. The temple is dedicated to Lord Tiruvengalanatha form of Vishnu, it was constructed by a high officer in King Achyuta Raya's court and hence his name for the temple. The temple complex and the market which is in ruins sits in a semi made valley by the two hills the Gandhamadana and Matanga Hills. The two main ways to reach the temple are, one from the Kodanda Rama Temple or Kings Palace path which enters the Courtesans street and leads to the main tower of the Achyuta Raya Temple. Another route to the temple is to climb the steps near the Nandi (Bull) at the east of Hampi Bazaar, this is the easier and faster way to the temple.