Things to Know
30 - 45 Min
St Andrew's Basilica, Arthunkal officially called as Arthunkal St. Andrew's Forane Church, located in Arthunkal, Alappuzha district, Kerala, situated about 20km from center of Alappuzha. originally built by the Portuguese missionaries in the 16th century. It was rebuilt in 1584, under the then vicar Fr. Jacoma Fenicio, whom the devotees claim, possessed magical powers to heal the body and mind. Devotees fondly referred to him as "Arthunkal Veluthachan", which in English translates to "fair skinned father". Fr. Fenicio died in 1632. Eight years after his death, the church was rebuilt again, this time facing the west towards the long white-sand beach on the shores of the Arabian Sea. In 1647, a statue of St. Sebastian, struck with arrows all over his bleeding body (he was executed on the order of the Roman emperor for embracing the Christian faith) sculptured in Milan, was brought and placed in the Arthunkal church.